By Kai (VALIS)

User ID: 36059169

The Roswell File

On July the 8th of 1947, the US military did something it had never done before and would (so far) never do again: they admitted to identifying and capturing a flying disc. The implications of this event were widespread and affected a drastic change in what we now consider the history of national security.

On this day 68 years ago, a rancher named Mac Brazel and an intelligence officer named Jesse Marcel had their names written in history. Brazel had reported wreckage on the Ungar Ranch in Chaves County. George Wilcox, then sheriff, accompanied Jesse Marcel to the debris field and what they found astounded them. Marcel described a material which resembled aluminum foil but was light as air and, when crumbled up, would immediately return to its original shape. He also reported that the alloy was indestructible after firing several shots at it. The men also found a material which resembled light balsa wood but which could not be burned or broken and had what appeared to be hieroglyphs carved into it. Marcel and his men collected some of the material and brought it back to Roswell Army Air Field. The headlines from Press Officer Walter Haut ran "RAAF Captures Flying Saucer." This is important because it is, so far, the only time the US military has publicly admitted to obtaining saucer technology.

The next day, July 9th, a second story ran which portrayed Marcel posing in front of a box of conspicuous debris and "admitting" that he had accidentally misidentified a weather balloon. This was and is a ridiculous notion. He was trained in the signal corps, what then amounted to counter intelligence and had a vast knowledge of weather balloons and other Army Air Force technology. Marcel, in the 70's, would later admit that he had been ordered to lie and that the debris he had recovered was switched with something that his commanding officer, Roger Ramey had put together.

Two extremely important events took place immediately after this incident. Whatever you think about UFO's and crashed saucers, this was a very important catalyst because:

Harry Truman passed the National Security Act and...

1. The US Air Force was declared a separate entity from what had previously been the Army Air Force. This meant they had their own chain of command and now reported directly to the president.

2. The CIA was created out of the remnants of the OSS, OSI, and former military intelligence. This was the very first instance of a peacetime intelligence agency that had the authority to investigate and deal with issues outside the US. This began a long and dirty rivalry with the FBI and specifically J. Edgar Hoover, who repeatedly attempted to obtain information about UFOs from the CIA and the Air Force.

It is perfectly clear that whatever crashed there on that day, it put a lot of people on alert.

On July 9th the press was given access to debris allegedly taken from the crash site, which the RAAF now claimed was in fact a weather balloon and not a saucer after all. This was unimpressive and it begged the question, "How could a ranking intelligence officer mistake weather balloon debris for a flying saucer?" Where indeed did the flying saucer story come from?

The 1970's were a big decade for UFO's. Partly because there were genuine reports and stories coming out of military bases on a semi regular basis and partly because a nuclear physicist named Stanton Friedman sought out and interviewed Major Jesse Marcel. And what Marcel had to say this time was rather different from the last. He claimed that there was a massive cover up beginning with his orders from General Ramey to pose in front of some weather balloon debris and claim he had made a silly mistake. According to Marcel, all of the officers involved (including Walter Haut, the man who originally ran the flying disc story) were ordered to remain silent and go along with the weather balloon story. Marcel also gave credence to an alleged second crash site on the plains of San Augustin.

A government land surveyor named Barney Barnett had claimed to have come across an actual intact disc with bodies outside of it. Some geology students happened upon the area a short time later and witnessed the object as well before Air Force officials arrived and cleared everyone out. San Augustin is 165 miles west of Roswell. It is possible (and, to me, likely) that these two "crashes" are in fact one and that the debris field at the ranch was an initial explosion which then led to the eventual descent and crash in San Augustin.

It is also of note that upon former RAAF Press Officer Walter Haut's death, an affidavit written by him was released which confirmed every aspect of Marcel's testimony.

Walter Haut and the Affidavit

Former Press Officer Walter Haut began speaking a little more openly about the Roswell incident in the early 2000's. He began giving oral accounts of the discovery of the crash and subsequent coverup to two UFO researchers: Wendy Connors and Dennis Balthauser, who recorded the information and waited to go public. Before Haut died he drafted an affidavit and had it notarized to be publicly disclosed after his death. When he passed away, the affidavit was released and was first revealed in "Witness to Roswell."

He stated that he had indeed seen wreckage from the crash, that it was in fact something not of this planet, and that he had personally seen the recovered object as well as bodies in a hangar at the base. Colonel Butch Blanchard, a friend of Haut's, insisted on showing him what was stored in the hangar. Blanchard was always complicit in the coverup and Haut further revealed that General Ramey had had a staff meeting on July 8th in which the course of action regarding the coverup was discussed.

Colonel William "Butch" Blanchard

Colonel Blanchard is widely suspected to have been deeply involved with the recovery and subsequent coverup of the object that crashed in Roswell. Blanchard initially ordered lt. Walter Haut to put out the press release for the 'flying disc' story. That day, when reporters attempted to contact the colonel, they were told that "no further details were available." Later that day reporters were told that he had "left on leave." This was possibly an attempt to keep him isolated while he concentrated on the recovery.

Then it gets more fascinating. On July 9th, Blanchard apparently went on vacation with his wife for 3 weeks. There is sufficient evidence from several Air Force memos and documents which shows that he immediately left the base after the incident and did not return for some time.

In one of the photos from the press conference during which Marcel was giving the cover story to reporters, a memo can be seen in the hand of General Roger Ramey.

It has been blown up and inspected by many researchers and its contents are rather surprising. It is a telegram from Ramey to the Pentagon and General Hoyt Vandenberg the Army Air Force's Chief of Staff at that time. This is what has been deciphered:

(First paragraph)




(here we can assume he is referring to the materials)


(Second paragraph)


(possibly being flown to)

"8TH ARMY****"

(this most likely refers to the surgeon at Fort Worth)

(third paragraph)



(these are likely in reference to a counterintelligence team responding to the situation in the public)



So what we have here is essentially a progress report to Vandenberg in which Ramey states that they recovered a disc and bodies which will be forwarded to Fort Worth (incidentally, this is where the Army Air Force's aeronautical labs were) and that a counterintelligence team was dealing with the public and the press. It also mentions the balloon story.

Major Jesse Marcel

When Sheriff George Wilcox contacted the Roswell Army Airfield the man sent to meet him was Major Jesse Marcel. Marcel was an intelligence officer for the 509th Bomber Squadron at that point. He went out to Mac Brazel's field with Wilcox and took a small team of men with him. Marcel initially identified the material as foreign and unlike anything he had seen or heard of. His immediate response was excitement and confusion, as told by Wilcox.

Before bringing all the material in, however, he brought a piece home to show his son. Jesse Marcel Jr. later recounted that his father came into the house and said, excitedly, "I'm gonna show you something...something that you'll probably never see again." Marcel Jr.'s account of the 'memory metal' was consistent with other witnesses' descriptions, including Walter Haut and Earl Fulford (a staff sergeant at RAAF). The stuff was thin as paper and light as a feather, looked like aluminum, was unbreakable and would immediately return to its original form after being bent or crushed.

Marcel then brought the material back to RAAF. The following day, he was made to take the fall for the group by claiming he had misidentified a weather balloon. He did as he was told and the rest of the story is history. In 1978, Marcel was contacted by nuclear physicist for Westinghouse Stanton T. Friedman, who encouraged him to speak openly about the incident. Marcel agreed and did his first interview with Friedman, who has since written several books on the subject and would later go on to cover the MJ-12 controversy.

Sheridan Cavitt and CIC

Jesse Marcel said in his interview with Stanton Friedman that one of the men who accompanied him to the debris field was a Roswell Counterintelligence Corps officer by the name of Sheridan Cavitt. This man has a somewhat interesting roll in this story because he is one of the only eyewitnesses to come forward whose story (even in later years) does not match with Marcel's and Walter Haut's stories.

Cavitt was interviewed in 1994 when the USAF did its own investigation into the alleged coverup. This was obviously suspicious in the first place. The Air Force investigating an earlier incarnation of itself? Cavitt claimed that he had no recollection of ever going with Marcel to the ranch and that he never actually met Mac Brazel. He said that he went to the site with assistant, a sergeant named Lewis Rickett. He also claimed that what he found at the site was nothing but reflective aluminum and bamboo sticks.

This is obviously very strange due to the fact that every other person at the initial investigation of the crash site (Sheriff George Wilcox, Mac Brazel, and Jesse Marcel) all told the same story. The only person whose account did not add up was this man Cavitt who just so happened to be in RAAF Counterintelligence...a man whose job it was essentially to lie.

The Photographers

A photographic specialist named Fred Benthal (at the time, a sergeant) claimed that he and Corporal Al Kirkpatrick were flown in from Washington D.C. specifically for the purpose of photographing wreckage and bodies from the Roswell crash. Benthal claimed they were first taken north to a site where they saw a series of covered military trucks which were holding and moving crash debris. They were then taken to another site (presumably the site of the actual disc) where Air Force personnel were picking up pieces of wreckage. He claimed he was then taken to a tent and instructed to photograph several small bodies which were lying on a tarp. Benthal said that all of his and Kirkpatrick's film and equipment was then confiscated and they were then taken back to Washington and debriefed, told they had never seen anything.
By John Lash from MetaHistory Website

My proposed term for the extraordinary concurrence of events in 1947, including the invention of the holograph, the creation of the CIA and Operation Majestic, and the famous wave of UFO sightings including the alleged crash in Roswell, New Mexico.

To introduce the 1947 Nexus, I invite readers to consider these two concurrent events:

In December 1945, an Arab peasant discovered the Nag Hammadi codices concealed in a jar in a cave in Upper Egypt, near Thebes (Luxor), but it was not until June 1947 that a French scholar, Jean Doresse, recognized what the documents were.

In the same summer of 1947, a Bedouin shepherd discovered the first of a massive cache of parchments and scrolls in the cave at Khirbet Qumran, overlooking the Dead Sea, about 30 miles south of Jerusalem.

Primary chronological nexus: the Nag Hammadi Codices (NHC) and the Dead Sea Scrolls (DSS) emerged from two thousand years of obscurity in the same historical moment.

But wait, there's more. Much, much more.

In the fall of 1947, the world was shocked by the announcement of the formation of the sovereign state of Israel. Israeli scholars and soldiers alike were inspired by the realization that a modern state in the "Promised Land" was being established at the very moment the Dead Sea Scrolls resurfaced - no mere coincidence, perhaps, since the Scrolls were evidence of a nationalist and messianic movement in Palestine, headed by an extremist apocalyptic sect whose stated aim was to invoke the intervention of supernatural powers to establish Israel as a sovereign realm: the Zaddikim.

Is this wild enough?

If not, hang on, because we're just beginning to roll into the Nexus: Scholars on the scene in Jerusalem in 1947 present first-hand testimony that agents from the newly formed CIA were present in their midst, and even took microfiche photos of the parchments.


Back to Miscellaneous